Sunday, April 18, 2010

Gill-over-the-ground (watercolour 4 x 7 in.) SOLD!

16 April finds me out between rain showers, behind the Canada Plum thicket at our place in Bishops Mills, examining the flower buds in search of candidates for a painting.  They rise in loose clusters of three or four, each on a longish petiole, and all tightly clenched like pale babys' fists emerging from scalloped reddish cuffs.  As I was moving along the bushes, pulling down branch-tips to see the buds close up, I glanced down to adjust my footing, and my eye caught a wink of intense purple among the new blades of grass where we mowed the lawn near the tent last summer.  Ahah!  I have found the next-to-bloom wildflower (after our early Dandelion) - Gill-over-the-ground!

This has been a very demanding painting, as Gill-over-the-ground turns out to be jam-packed with details!  I didn't want to do it without the running stem, as it is so much a part of the character of the plant, running "over-the-ground".  Notice that the stem is square, giving away that it is a mint.  We use it in our wild spring salads, for colour as well as its bitter minty flavour.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, to be a creeping Charlie,
    Oh, to gill over the ground.
    Oh to fill the shady corners
    where turf grass cannot be found.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think of this painting, and what do you know about the subject that I have painted?