Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Waterfalling (oil on canvas 10 x 20 in.)

16 August found me exploring the series of waterfalls below Sylvester Lake, Temagami District. I paddled here today with another artist from the pARTners For Wolf Lake art camp. A portage trail runs along a ridge above the falls, and the people labouring up the hot sunny trail with packs and canoes could not see much of the falls themselves as I flitted among the trees and rocks below them, finding my footing along the lower bank from fall to fall as excited as a dog on a fresh scent.

The falls were exhilarating! There were five or six of them, with hardly 20 metres of smooth water between them. At least one was long and narrow, a crevasse with white water churning through, and one, a long series of steps for the water to sashay down, flirting white crinolines all the way. One, overlooked by a scraggy leaning Cedar like an old shaman was high and narrow, a plunging column of white violence, and then there was the one that I call "The Teeth" - wide and high, a classic waterfall over rocky ramparts that project above its crest like blunt teeth with gaps between.

This portrait of a small part of one of the falls I found about half way down. To me these wilderness waterfalls are expressive of freedom and purity, the energy of water and air shouting and tumbling together, clashing, splashing, and churning - ionizing the air and oxygenizing the water and the result is pure joy!

Dear patrons and supporters,

This painting is for sale for $700 to support our work for conservation. If you would like to purchase it, please contact me   

1 comment:

  1. Such wonderful, descriptive writing! This is great, I think it far outshines the painting in my book! I would have like to see more of the surroundings of the rushing, falling water. The picture should be sold with a plaque alongside that displays your descriptive essay in type large enough to be easily read.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think of this painting, and what do you know about the subject that I have painted?