Fish Images Emerging

Smallmouth Bass Emerging (watercolour, 8x4 in.)

In June 2019 I finished the last of 20 fish watercolours to be published as identification cards by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. I remember feeling daunted by the task when the New Brunswick Museum asked me if I would do it, especially since I would be responsible for finding my own photographic reference for all of them.

I began in January, and with each painting, I learned more about googling up a useful selection of reference photos, what it feels like to be a fish of each species, and with each painting, further developed techniques for counting and painting scales, drawing and painting fins, and showing different kinds of iridescence.

Largemouth Bass Emerging (watercolour, 8 x 4 in.)

I like to keep track of my progress on a painting, by photographing each stage. First I make a complete drawing in pencil, and then I start to paint at the head, working toward the tail. There is usually a stage in the process, where the fish seems to be physically emerging from the paper. Sometimes I became so absorbed that I didn't stop in time - but there were about half a dozen images in the 20 fish paintings where I managed to capture that moment of emergence. Here are the first three of my series of six. These images can teach you how to paint fish!

Yellow Perch Emerging (watercolour 5 x 4 in.)
Although my completed paintings have been deposited in the New Brunswick Museum and their images, with clear white backgrounds, have been sent to DFO for publication, the emergent images, with their pencil lines and paper backgrounds are my own to present as fine art. I am making them available for purchase as 18 x 24 inch prints, considerably enlarged from the miniature watercolours 

Watch for another set of three "emergent fish" to complete the series of 6. 
To order: "Fish Emerging" prints on watercolour paper or stretched canvas. Contact Aleta



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sturgeon Chute, Upper Rapids (oil on canvas, 12 x 16 in.) Sold

Cooper Marsh Late August

Little Marsh in Limerick