The Cedars Snow Dance

The Cedars Snow Dance (8 x 10 oil on canvas)

26 December 2022 finds me plodding through the deep new snow among the Cedars behind our house in Bishops Mills, Ontario. It being my birthday, the order of the day was painting en plein air. A lovely sunny day of -4C with deep new snow - I invited Fred out in my search for a scene “out back”. 

I took photos of several - the most inspiring being a clump of Cedars with curving blue-shadowed snow-mantled branches, with the warm bright open space glowing through from behind. Knowing the light would be better in the late afternoon, I did some errands in Kemptville, and was back out to the site with a sled load of gear by 4:00. 


Insulated by a cushion in the seat of my folding chair, I had my booted feet in a cardboard box stuffed with a down vest, my lap wrapped with a small duvet, my hands in fingerless gloves, and a hat beneath my hood, I painted in a race with the sunset, not taking time to open my thermos for a sip of hot tea. by 5:00 the evening blush had departed from the opening beyond the Cedars, and I could hardly see to pack my painting up to finish in the studio. 















After several days of errands and interruptions, I finally had it finished it on 31 December. This was a challenging scene - but I love the way it dances. 




For $425 it can be yours!

E-mail me: karstad (at) pinicola.ca if you are interested.

Comments

  1. It is a modt beautiful painting, Aleta. You are right about the dancing .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

What do you think of this painting, and what do you know about the subject that I have painted?

Popular posts from this blog

Sturgeon Chute, Upper Rapids (oil on canvas, 12 x 16 in.) Sold

Cooper Marsh Late August

Little Marsh in Limerick