White Water Lily

 

6 August 2021 found me exploring Robinson Lake on the Dumoine River by kayak. Taking it all in from the intimate position of just above water level was enchanting! It was difficult to be still enough to photograph the White Water Lilies Nymphaea odorata as I awkwardly circled a group of them, poising like dancers mirrored in the dark water. I was amazed at how, when my clumsy paddle brushed them, they closed to keep the water out of their delicate yellow inner parts, popping up dry and open on the other side of the kayak. 


In the middle of the channel, I spotted a Painted Turtle on a deadhead, and bumped into it, approaching to take photos. One can’t simultaneously take photos and manoeuvre one’s craft.


As the sky lowered and the wind roused the water into a chop I photographed some "Swamp Candles", Lysimachia terrestris, with twisted yellow petals, blooming along the shore, and then turned the tip of the island and into the wind. There were small waves in addition to the chop, and the clouds were lowering. I paddled hard to catch up with Marisa, and as we reached the landing spot at camp, it began to rain and then pour. What a contrast to the serenity of the Water Lily bay!


I look forward to returning in August, to join fellow DRAW (Dumoine River Artists for Wilderness) artists in a week-long camp in support of river conservation hosted by Canadian Parks & Wilderness Society - Ottawa Valley  CPAWS-OV.



This 4 x 4 inch watercolour is one of a series of wildflowers I'm painting for the next edition of NatureMatch, my card-matching game. Contact me for information about purchasing the originals.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sturgeon Chute, Upper Rapids (oil on canvas, 12 x 16 in.) Sold

Cooper Marsh Late August

Little Marsh in Limerick